Context and aim
The EUSALP Energy Award is an initiative of the EUSALP Action Group 9, initiated under the umbrella of the Italian EUSALP Presidency 2022. The award is financially supported by the Technical Assistance Fund of the European Commission, DG Regio.
The Alps are a sensitive environment in which the impacts of global warming are proceeding rapidly. Mountain regions are even more affected by phenomena related to climate change. The decarbonization of the energy sector through solutions that enhance energy efficiency and the roll-out of renewable energy are necessary to mitigate climate change. The geographic and structural characteristics of the Alps provide good potential to make the Alpine region a European “Model region for renewable energies and energy efficiency” as envisaged by the European Union Strategy for the Alpine Region (EUSALP) Action Plan of the European Union (EU).
The EUSALP Energy Award recognizes best practices that are contributing to the implementation of the energy transition in the Alpine area through the roll-out of renewable energy and energy efficiency measures. The energy transition can only succeed if all stakeholders participate in it, because energy can be saved everywhere!
EUSALP Energy Award 2022 Edition: Citizen activation and participation in the energy transition
The award edition 2022 honours activities and projects of citizens, municipalities, start-ups, established companies, research institutions and NGOs that give an example of citizens involvement in the local energy transition. The jury welcomes proposals in the following fields of action:
1. Communicating the energy transition and sensibilization of citizens
2. Participatory approaches to roll out energy efficiency and renewable energies on the local level
3. Innovative financing models to support the local energy transition and citizens involvement
An international experts’ jury selects the submitted projects in 2022 for the first time. The winners will be invited to an international awarding ceremony in Bolzano/Bozen on 11 October during the EUSALP Energy Conference (further information to be found on the EUSALP website).
- The awarded best practices will be promoted through the EUSALP media channels (website, newsletter, social media channels) as well as during the international EUSALP Energy Conference on 11 October 2022
- The winners of the award will receive international press coverage
- The winners will have the possibility to network with other international actors that support the energy transition in Europe and in the Alps
- The winner initiatives will be presented in a promotional video
Selection process and criteria
An international jury of experts from all EUSALP countries (Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Switzerland) selects the submitted projects following a pre-selection process. The following criteria are necessary to apply.
- Submission is complete and comprehensible;
- Application located in the EUSALP perimeter;
- Demonstration that project or initiative has a positive impact on energy efficiency and renewable energy roll-out;
- Ability to prove the concrete and beneficial involvement of citizens;
- Potential of replication of the activity;
- Innovation in terms of technologies, policies and concepts applied.
- Patrick BIARD, Head of International Affairs, Auvergne Rhône-Alpes Energy Environnement Agency, France
- Jure ČIžMAN, Inštitut Jožef Stefan, Energy Efficiency Centre, Slovenia
- Silvio DE NIGRIS, Public Officer Sustainable Energy Department, Region Piedmont, Italy
- Aljon KEREC, member EUSALP Youth Council, Slovenia
- Peter OBRICHT, Head, Environment and Energy Economy Office, Region Lower Austria, Austria
- Rupert PRITZL, Deputy Head Department Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency, Digital Energy Systems, State Ministry Economy Bavaria, Germany
- Ulrich SANTA, General Director, Energy Agency South Tyrol-CasaClima, Italy
- Sandrine VOGEL, Project Officer, European Funds Energy Transition Department, Provence Alpes Cote d`Azur, France
- Stefano ZERBI, Professor, Department of environment construction and design, University of Applied Sciences of Southern Switzerland, Switzerland
Maren MEYER, Policy Officer, Italian Presidency 2022, email@example.com
Find the application form below - Applications open up to September 16th.